Monday, November 9, 2015

Walking and Alzheimer's




This past weekend was the Walk to End Alzheimer's.   I could not participate this year but the theme of walking got me thinking about my mom.  During the time I cared for my mom in the early stages of her illness, one of the things her neurologist told her was "Keep moving".   On a limited basis, Mom was able to get around on her own and one thing she liked to do was walk.  With her walker, she would go around the block over and over several times a day.

At one time, my mother was quite a traveler.  She had traveled pretty much to every part of the world. When I would check on her throughout the day she would report to me that she took several walks and, even though I knew she walked the same loop, I asked her where she went.  When she described her walk, her excitement was such that one would think she walked around the entire world.  I could picture her leaning over her walker on the move with great determination, hair flying and disheveled in the breeze, eyes fixated ahead, with her focus seeming all the more intense by her glasses which somehow seemed too big for her face. After my mom moved away to stay with my sister, I would think of her taking those walks and started to make the book above (individual images below).  It has been several years and I have not worked anymore on the book; perhaps it is done, I don't know. Anyway, the Walk to End Alzheimer's got me thinking of this.  Though the walk is officially over, they are still accepting donations. Please consider this charity that assists those who suffer from this disease.





No comments:

Post a Comment